Our 10 year old standard poodle, Rembrandt, was not acting himself on that Saturday afternoon. I decided to have him checked. When I told him we were taking a car ride, he leaped up, walked a few steps and fell down. He was very ill.

We arrived at DeLand Animal Hospital after 3 pm on Saturday, and the staff took him right in. They advised me that he had suffered from a ruptured spleen and would need emergency surgery. After about 30 minutes, they presented me with an estimate of $1800, which I immediately paid, and I asked if they would perform the surgery right away, which they said they would.

At 9 pm, they called and requested that I take him to another veterinarian because THEY COULD NOT FIND A SURGEON. The staff had wasted six (6) hours of Rembrandt's life and destroyed whatever chance he may have had to live.

When I took him in, he could not walk and had a very hard time breathing. When I picked him up, he was beyond hope, so I took him to another veterinarian, and they him put down.

Our Rembrandt deserved a better last day.

Product or Service Mentioned: Deland Animal Hospital Pet Medical Service.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Apr 24.

Comments

I am sorry for your loss

Please accept my sincere sympathy for the loss of Rembrandt ; you are absolutely correct that he deserved a better last day and there is no valid excuse for the non-treatment ; the unavailability of which should have been made clear immediately. It makes me sick to think of him lying there for hours while they did nothing despite having happily accepted your trust and money.

Whatever else, do not blame yourselves ; you did exactly what was correct and proper in a terrible situation and there was nothing else you could have done.My guess is that he had a marvelous life full of the joy of being a poodle ; I've often thought that dogs have a shorter lifespan than most humans so that several dogs may experience the bliss of being YOUR DOG in your lifetime. Rembrandt was a work of art himself - what a handsome and smart looking guy.

to Gorton #1473835

Very kind words................thank you.